What about the human spirit as a source of incentive?
If you believe our primary motivation is a ‘will to meaning’, when you think about the assumption, how ‘will’ing are you in work to go that extra mile, commit to reaching out beyond yourself for the sake of a colleague, a task or the cause – when no one is watching?
Here are the spiritual foundations:
- Decision making – feeling free to choose, intuiting and using judgement?
- Uniqueness – feeling irreplaceable or being made feel replaceable?
- Responsibility – as an education through work to competence and responsibility.
- Willingness – to go beyond oneself, self-transcendence.
- Actualization – of values not the person.
- Fulfillment – of meaning not ones self.
- noodynamics – creating appropriate tension, re-orientating towards those values to be actualized and towards the meaning of your personal existence to be fulfilled.
- Existential vacuum – the void within.
- Existential despair & spiritual distress – deeply human rather than mental disease.
- Freedom – the chance to change at any instant.