What about the human spirit as a source of incentive?
If you believe our primary motivation is our ‘will to meaning’, when you think about the assumption, how ‘will’ing are you in work to go that extra mile, commit to reaching out beyond yourself for the sake of a colleague, a task or the cause – when no one is watching?
Here are the spiritual foundations:
- Freedom in decision making – feeling free to choose, intuiting and using judgement?
- Uniqueness – feeling irreplaceable or being made feel replaceable?
- Responsibility – as an education through work to competence and responsibility.
- Willingness – to go beyond oneself, self-transcendence.
- Actualization – of values not the person.
- Fulfillment – of meaning not ones self.
- noodynamics – creating appropriate tension, re-orientating towards those values to be actualized and towards the meaning of your personal existence to be fulfilled.
- Existential vacuum – the void within.
- Existential despair & spiritual distress – deeply human rather than mental disease.
- Free will – the chance to change at any instant.